Chartered Surveyors and Property Consultants

Professional Services

Expert Witness

With litigation on the rise it is imperative that property professionals are able to provide in depth advice on contentious valuation and legal matters for private clients, solicitors and mortgage lenders. Baker & Baker Chartered Surveyors have years of invaluable experience across all aspects of the Residential Property Market which enable them to provide expert advice along with arbitration and court representation. Baker & Baker Chartered Surveyors can offer expert reports in all of the following areas;

  • Boundaries and party walls
  • Building surveying
  • Landlord and tenant rent reviews and lease renewals
  • Professional Arbitration
  • Construction disputes
  • Dilapidations
  • Estate Agency and professional practice
  • Leasehold Extension/Collective Enfranchisement
  • Professional negligence
  • Valuations for loan security
  • Valuations for solicitors/surveyors insurance claims
  • Valuations for Section 18(1) dilapidations
  • Valuations for divorce/partnership dissolution
  • Valuations for taxation

Party Wall Representation

It is important prior to undertaking any building works that may affect directly or be within close proximity of a party wall/neighbouring structure that specialist advice is obtained in order to ascertain whether formal notice is required. We offer specialist and detailed advice in respect of the Party Wall Act and can advise the Building Owner, the party carrying out the works, the Adjoining Owner or the party whose property may be affected by the works. Alternatively, if the circumstances allow, we can operate as an Agreed Surveyor and represent both parties.

If you are intending to make alterations to a party wall, build close to or on a boundary, or if you want to alter the existing boundary wall it is highly likely that you will need to formally notify your neighbour under the Party Wall etc Act 1996. Obtaining advice and guidance at an early stage eliminates disputes and costly delays to works.

Fire Risk Assessment

In England and Wales, if you’re an employer, owner, landlord or occupier of business or other non-domestic premises including a residential block of flats, you are responsible for the fire safety of the building and an annual Fire Risk Assessment should be held on file.

Baker & Baker Chartered Surveyors are able to undertake risk assessments on behalf of landlords/residents to ensure that the relevant building complies with the ever changing fire standards. By holding an up to date risk assessment ensures that landlords and resident owners are not subject to prosecution as well as preventing building insurance from becoming compromised.

Asbestos Risk Assessments

Baker & Baker Chartered Surveyors are able to offer asbestos inspections/reports to include sample testing in order to ensure landlords/property owners are compliant with current legislation. An asbestos Risk File is now a legal requirement for any commercial building including common areas of residential developments.

Schedule of Dilapidation

Landlords and Tenants frequently enter into a lease for a commercial property without any particular regard for its condition at the commencement of the tenancy and no particular strategy to maintain the building in accordance with the repairing provisions in the lease during the period of occupation. Neither party are normally focused upon routine building maintenance. It is however always recommended prior to commencement of a lease that a suitable Schedule of Condition Report (refer to Surveying) is appointed and agreed by both parties as this can form the initial reference point in any dilapidations case

Upon termination of the lease attention will focus on the contractual matters arising from terms of the lease, including the condition of the building, and any dilapidations issues which might exist.

Baker & Baker Chartered Surveyors are able to assist both landlords and tenants in dilapidations claims with all inspections, reports and recommendations produced.